Cosmetic Dentistry in Spring Branch, Houston, TX
Inlays and onlays are indirect restorations which are made from composite resins or dental porcelain. In addition to possessing excellent esthetics, inlays and onlays are much stronger and durable than direct teeth fillings. At Lifeworks Dental, we use Inlays and Onlays to restore teeth and to give a beautiful and lasting smile.
Inlays and Onlays are called indirect restorations because unlike the direct teeth cavity fillings, they are prepared outside the oral cavity, and then bonded to the prepared teeth. They are an excellent option for the restoration of teeth with moderate to large defects or cavities, where direct fillings are unable to provide the required strength and support to the remaining tooth structure.
What are Inlays and Onlays?
- Inlays – Inlays and onlays can be considered as “mini versions” of dental crowns. Inlays are indirectly bonded fillings which fit inside the tooth. However, they can be extended onto the chewing surface or may restore one or more cusps of the back teeth.
- Onlays – onlays are similar to the inlays except, they are used for restoring a larger tooth area than the inlays. An inlay sits over the top portion of a tooth and covers the biting surfaces and cusps of back teeth. They are also sometimes referred as “partial crowns” since they cover a slightly smaller
Who Can Benefit from Inlays and Onlays?
At lifeworks Dental, our Memorial Dentists recommend inlays and onlays for the following restorative dental problems:
- Extensive Tooth Damage – inlays and onlays are ideal in cases where there extensive tooth damage which cannot be restored by direct filling, but at the same time, the defect also does not require placement of a complete crown.
- Frequently Dislodged Teeth Fillings – inlays and onlays can also be used in cases where direct fillings get dislodged or fractured frequently. This is because inlays and onlays are much stronger than regular teeth fillings.
- To Replace Metallic Fillings – Metal fillings not only have the unaesthetic appearance, but they have also been shown to carry several health hazards. Our Memorial Area Dentists use inlays and onlays as an aesthetic and stronger alternative to metallic teeth fillings when replacing old metallic fillings.
How are Inlays and Onlays Prepared?
Preparation of inlays and onlays require two visits.
During the first visit, our Houston Dentist will prepare the affected tooth for receiving inlays or onlays by removing the damaged tooth portion. The prepared tooth cavity will be shaped so that the inlay or onlay fits perfectly inside the prepared cavity. Next, an impression of your teeth will be made, which will then be sent to the laboratory.
We will also record the shade and color of your natural teeth so that prepared inlay or onlay blends in perfectly, and improves your smile and looks. During your next appointment, we will first try the inlay or onlay to assess its fit and aesthetics. Afterwards, it will be permanently bonded to the tooth by using an adhesive cement.
What are the Benefits of Inlays and Onlays?
If you’re thinking why you should prefer inlays and onlays over direct fillings and dental crowns, then the following points will help you in making an informed decision:
- Durability – since inlays and onlays are prepared inside the dental laboratory under controlled and precise conditions, they are much stronger than direct teeth fillings. They also tend to last longer without getting fractured or dislodged.
- Aesthetics – highly esthetic and beautiful inlays and onlays are prepared from porcelain or composite resins, which restore your teeth to give you a charming smile and attractive looks.
- Tooth Conservation – unlike dental crowns, lesser natural tooth structure has to be removed for their placement. Therefore, they are much more conservative of tooth structure.
- Superior Fit – inlays and onlays are prepared in a way so that they exactly fit into the prepared cavity. In this way, there are no over-extensions of the filling, making tooth cleaning easier and minimizing chances of development of secondary teeth cavities.
When it comes to choosing a reliable and durable option for restoring damaged teeth, then inlays and onlays should be your first choice! Visit us today at Lifeworks Dental and let Dr. Kini Tran and Dr. Kim Nguyen take care of all your dental problems. We are Family Dentistry practice, and we have been serving the residents of Memorial Area for many years. From professional teeth cleaning to cosmetic Invisalign aligners, we provide all general and cosmetic dentistry services under one roof. So, what are you waiting for? Book an appointment today!