Pedodontics in Spring Branch & Memorial, Houston, TX
What is Pedodontics?
Pedodontics, also known as pediatric dentistry, is a branch of dentistry which specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of dental problems in children, right from infancy till adolescence. The milk teeth of children demand special care as they help them in learning how to eat and speak. In addition, the milk teeth serve as space maintainers for their permanent successors. Keeping in view the importance of oral health in children, the American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that parents should take their children for a dental checkup within six months of the eruption of their first tooth.
Why are Early Childhood Dental Visits Necessary for Your Child?
Many parents think there is no need for taking care of milk teeth of their children, as they will be eventually replaced with their permanent successors. This is a very wrong and dangerous assumption! At Lifeworks Dental, we believe that the dental health status of children plays a vital role in making them healthy, fit and active throughout life. This is because the mouth serves as a gateway to the whole body, and its hygiene directly affects your physical wellbeing. In addition, all good dental habits learned by children from their early years will go a long way in preventing dental problems and minimizing the need for expensive treatment, later in life.
Pediatric Dentistry Services Offered At Lifeworks Dental
At Lifeworks Dental, we welcome children from all age groups, starting from four months of age till teenage. We provide a comfortable and cozy environment for the children so that they feel relaxed during their treatment. At Lifeworks Dental, we provide the following Pedodontic services for the children:
Counselling and Education
A major component of our Pedodontic treatment is teaching the parents regarding the best oral health practices for their children.
- The Correct Method of Brushing Teeth – children cannot have optimal oral health unless their teeth are brushed properly. At Lifeworks Dental, we recommend the Bass method for brushing teeth. This method involves holding the toothbrush at an angle of 45°, and then moving the toothbrush to and fro motion while using short strokes. This practice is done on all teeth, both on the inner and outer surfaces of the teeth. This method ensures optimal teeth cleaning and prevention from tooth decay.
- Using the Waterpik for Optimal Oral Hygiene – a Waterpik is a device which directs a stream of water onto the gums and teeth and helps in teeth cleaning by removing plaque deposits. The device is used by aiming the tip of the Waterpik towards the gum-line of each tooth. In this way, each tooth is thoroughly cleaned.
- Teeth-Friendly Dietary Habits – apart from poor oral hygiene maintenance, improper dietary management is another major reason for the development of teeth cavities and gum problems in children. Our dentists, Dr. Kini Tran and Dr. Kim Nguyen also guide the parents regarding the best dietary practices for their children, which not only ensure the optimal dental health but also an improved overall physical health and wellbeing.
Preventive Pedodontic Treatment at Lifeworks Dental
At Lifeworks Dental, we aim at minimizing the development of dental problems in children by providing preventive treatment.
- Teeth Cleanings – clean teeth are healthy teeth. We perform basic teeth cleaning on pediatric dental patients so that their teeth remain free from cavities and gum problems while maintaining your child’s pearly white smile.
- Dental Sealants – dental sealants are plastic-like materials which are applied to the grooves of the biting surfaces of the molar teeth of children releasing fluoride to strengthen teeth and to prevent teeth cavities. Dental sealants are recommended for those pediatric patients who are at a higher risk of developing gum problems and teeth cavities.
- Space Maintainers – in cases where a milk tooth of a child is prematurely lost and there is still time left in the eruption of its permanent successor, there are chances that the neighboring teeth may slide into the free space and hamper its normal eruption. In these cases, we use space maintainers so that the permanent tooth erupts without any difficulty. Space maintainers ensure that the neighboring teeth do not take up the free space created by the lost tooth.
- Habit Breaking Appliances – it is a common occurrence that children pick up habits of thumb sucking or tongue thrusting. These habits must be stopped immediately, as they can cause serious damage to your child’s dentition. For this purpose, we use various habit breaking appliances, in addition to counseling, to break the unwanted habits in children.
Restorative Pedodontic Treatment at Lifeworks Dental
Restorative treatment for children at Lifeworks dental is aimed at making every attempt at saving a tooth from extraction.
- Dental Fillings – special filling materials are used for children since their milk teeth will eventually be replaced with permanent ones after a few years.
- Pulpotomy – this is a procedure in which inflamed soft tissue of the tooth, the dental pulp, is removed from the tooth chamber, while a therapeutic dressing is placed over the remaining pulp to ensure that the tooth remains functional. Pulpotomy of teeth is required in cases where the pulp gets inflamed as a result of long-standing teeth cavities or due to direct pulp exposure following a trauma.
- Dental Crowns – crowns are used in children for badly worn or damaged teeth, for restoring their strength, structure, and functionality. In pediatric patients, we use crowns made from stainless steel or composites resins.
Surgical Procedures for Children’s Dentistry
Despite our best efforts to save all teeth, sometimes dental extractions become necessary.
- Teeth Extractions – teeth extraction is either required in children when a tooth is so badly damaged that it cannot be saved or in cases where a retained milk tooth is preventing its permanent counterpart from erupting.
- Emergency Dental Care – Children love to play, and often injure their teeth in the process. Therefore, we also provide emergency dental care for children at Lifeworks Dental.
Remember, dental health of children is as important as their physical wellbeing. Therefore, in addition to inculcating the importance of looking after their dental health, parents should take their children for regular dental checkups, so that problems can be diagnosed, and treated before they can cause permanent damage. If you’re looking for a dental practice where dentistry for children becomes an enjoyable experience, then Lifeworks dental should be your first choice.